Forklifts need constant power supply to work properly, for which they use deep cycle industrial grade batteries that can be discharged up to 80% on a regular basis. Forklifts use a variety of industrial batteries ranging from size to density.
Lithium-ion Battery (Advantages)
- Li-ion or Lithium Battery is the most preferred type of batteries used in electric smart trucks because of their high energy density. In a warehouse, the working periods are usually strenuous which is why most of the forklifts are lithium based as the equipments consume a lot of power to operate longer.
- These batteries are lightweight but offer a great deal of higher capacity when compared to other batteries in the market.
- Another reason why this battery is so popular is because of its fast charge cycle and it is also rechargeable.
- Lithium-ion batteries have the capacity to complete hundreds of charge and have a higher chance of life-span.
- Another distinct advantage of Li-ion battery is that they do not need maintenance to ensure their performance.
- Common applications- space constrained products, mobile phones, IoT devices, electronic watches.
Lead Acid Battery (Advantages)
- Lead acid batteries are the most commonly used batteries that offer best price to power ratio.
- These batteries are relatively low in cost, makes it even more attractive for use in motor vehicles to offer the high current required by automobile starter motors.
- Lead-acid battery offers a chance to recycle and, for instance, WHO conducts one of the most successful recycling programs in the world. To prevent lead emission, there is always a continuous improvement in battery recycling.
- Due to the robust quality and tolerant to abuse, they remain the technology of choice for automotive SLI (starting, lighting and ignition) applications. It is also tolerant to overcharging.
- Lead-acid batteries are available in wide range of sizes and capacities along with wide temperature range.
- Common applications- Car batteries, high current demand applications, large scale battery banks.
Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery (Advantages)
- Nickel-Metal Hydride battery, abbreviated NiMH or Ni-MH is a type of rechargeable battery and its energy density can approach to that of a lithium-ion battery.
- If equipment needs long lasting power, then NiMH is the right choice for it. It has the potential to last 3 to 4 times longer than the NiCd batteries.
- NiMH price is absolutely right depending upon the brand and model
- These batteries are less susceptible to memory issues
- One of the best aspects of Nickel-Metal Hydride battery is that they’re less harmful to the environment as compared to other batteries, as the batteries are of hybrid quality, marking one step towards future.
- Common application- electric vehicles, digital cameras, consumer electrics, portable devices.
Alkaline Battery (Advantages)
- Alkaline Battery is an extremely common type of battery to be used for any application.
- Such batteries have a lesser price in comparison to other known batteries in the market.
- It offers decent power density between 3 and 5 times capacity than an equal size of zinc chloride cell. It has even longer shelf-life with same voltage if compared with zinc-carbon batteries types.
- To be accurate about the size of A- Batteries depends upon the kind of appliance, from tiny AAA size batteries which are popularly used for low power lights, to medium sized AA battery and then very large C and D cells, which are generally used to power really very high load appliances like portable stereos.
- These batteries can be recycled too, causing less negative impact on the environment.
- Common applications- household items, toys, consumer electronics.