We know that recycling is an activity which aims to reduce the number of batteries being disposed as solid waste.
There are many healthy benefits of recycling industrial batteries :
- Reduction of landfill waste- Once the batteries are disposed, instead of dumping them into landfills they are taken to the reducing units. The amount of landfill waste is significantly reduced. Keeping the land free of heavy metals will prevent contamination of the soil.
- Saves Energy- Battery recycling definitely saves up a lot of resources. As a matter of fact, fewer resources are needed to make new batteries as most of the materials would have been recycled already. The existing materials are reused to make a new one.
- Sustains the environment- Because of less dump-yard of waste, the surroundings become cleaner. In short, recycling keeps the environment clean and protects biodiversity and helps sustain it for future generations.
- Reduces global warming- Greenhouse gas emissions is considerably reduced that contribute to global climate change. Dumping of batteries especially heavy industrial ones causes emission of various gases like sulfur, carbon, nitrogen and so on. Recycling of batteries can cause less damage to the atmosphere.
- Prevents pollution- Conserves natural resources such as metals, minerals. Recycling means there is no need of collecting new materials, thus, minimizing pollution.
- Increases Job opportunities- Recycling creates new employment opportunities in the recycling industry. This will help set up many recycling plants because of increased chances of collection and delivery of batteries from wastelands.
While there are many positive sides of recycling industrial batteries there are certain cons as well.
- Low value- The value of the recycled batteries is comparatively lower than newer batteries. Since it is made up of reused products, the quality can nowhere match to the new ones.
- High Up-Front Costs- Recycling needs huge investments to set up industries. Establishing new recycling plants often involves a lot of capital costs. This includes buying different kinds of utility vehicles, upgrade of recycle unit, waste, chemical disposal and attending and schooling the locals about the programs and more such activities.
- Unhygienic and unsafe- Huge heaps of waste filled with bacteria and diseases create an unhealthy environment for all of us. The chemical wastes of industrial batteries are highly dangerous creating massive pollution of different forms- soil, water and air.
- Not widely spread on larger-scale- It is yet to be convinced by many industries globally. Although recycling does help in reducing pollution as compared to the massive amount of waste and deforestation happening at industrial level. Many industries are still considering recycling as a small part of long-term success. Plus it needs more global buy-in.